Operating systems

A place to discuss any software issues you are having with your CrowPi
theredpoppet

Operating systems

Post by theredpoppet »

Hi everybody,
I have only just unpacked my Crow Pi and, as is the way with things sometimes, I bypassed the manual recommendations and tried to start it up with Kali 2020 loaded. It didn't like this telling me that the board I was using (Raspberry Pi 8gb) needed a software update. I replaced Kali with a standard Raspbian chip which loaded up perfectly.

I couldn't find anything about operating systems for the Crow and I am wondering about a mismatch between the new board and Kali 2020 as this distro I have found very picky with some things and I have never used the board. I haven't had time to properly investigate this myself but saw this new forum so thought I'd put it out there.

Is there any reason why this won't run Kali? I can run Raspbian of course but I'd like the option of running other distros if possible.

Thanks for any help, and its great to be at the start up of something like this.
g7jjf

Re: Operating systems

Post by g7jjf »

Hi, I haven't used Kali on a Raspberry Pi but there is no reason why it shouldn't work. Googling implies it does so what is the error message you are getting ? I will download the latest Kali 2020.2b and have a go on my CrowPi to see what happens.
theredpoppet

Post by theredpoppet »

Thanks for the reply.
This was my first run of the 8gb board so it may be something with the board as there is something on the raspberry pi d/l page. I've taken it out of the crow pi and will see if runs today.
theredpoppet

Post by theredpoppet »

Just to update this. This may be a problem with Kali 2020 (not sure if all versions or not). I have had problems installing Kali 2020 in qubes, and in fact have not been able to install it i qubes reverting instead to Kali 2019.

But then again, it may the 8gb board as Kali 2020 runs fine on my 2gb abd 4gb boards.

I have read about a number of possible fixes for this that I will try. One is to install Kali 2019 which people say seems to work. The other that I will try is to put the Kali 2020 chip into another board run sudo apt update/upgrade and people are saying that this then allows it to work in the 8gb board.

I'll let people know how it goes. I know that Kali will only be a niche thing but it may help others if they go down that road.
theredpoppet

Post by theredpoppet »

Problem mostly solved. There are a number of solutions floating around. The one that worked for me:

Download the latest Kali image for raspberry pi 4 which is: Kali-2020-2b-rpi2
You then need to load this into another raspberry pi that is not 8gb. I did it in my 4gb board.

Sudo apt update
Sudo apt upgrade

Takes a while.
After this I was able to get Kali to boot in my 8gb (writing from there right now). I haven't put it into the Crowpi yet but I don't anticipate a problem. I won't get to that for a while as next on the list is to see if I can dual boot ubuntu and Kali for the 8gb board. If I get this going then I will transplant it all into the Crowpi.

There is another fix out there involving Kali-2020-2a-rpi3-nexmon-64-img-xz which says that loading into a 4gb board and configuring Kali from within there and then putting it into the 8gb will work. It didn't for me.

Hope this little fix helps people if they want Kali on the Crowpi