Hi everyone !

Where both new and existing forum members can say 'hi' to each other!
g7jjf

Hi everyone !

Post by g7jjf »

Hi,

My name is Jon Welch and I am the admin of this support board.

I have been interested in computers since the days of the BBC/Acorn computers in the early 80's. I have contributed to the Beeb scene for ages, including writing the Mac port of BeebEm, writing the popular DFS/ADFS Explorer programs and many more. See my main web site at http://www.g7jjf.com for more details and downloads. I was also heavily involved in Packet Radio back in the day and wrote the popular WInTNC packet radio program.

I am currently a software engineer working through my own Company Trajon Consultancy Ltd.

I have been using Raspberry Pi's since the first model was release many years ago but only just found out about the CrowPi last week. I have always dabbled with electronics so a ready made development board with in-built Pi was a revelation !

I couldn't find a support forum for the CrowPi so decided to set one up myself in the hope that as many interested users can join to share ideas, hint and tips and general information on the CrowPi.

Please take a look around and hope to see you on the forum soon !

Jon
mickoz

Re: Hi everyone !

Post by mickoz »

Hi John,

My name is Mick. I have been a programmer / designer / architect / IT consultant since the eighties. I now work freelance in the finance sector in Australia.

I also had a BBC model B many years ago. Now I have a CrowPi and a daughter who is learning Python.

This board obviously hasn’t taken off but our skills are complementary and hopefully we can help each other.
g7jjf

Post by g7jjf »

Thanks for joining Mick.

The board hasn't taken off as I had expected but it is early days yet and hopefully more people may join soon.
theredpoppet

Post by theredpoppet »

Hi Everybody
I just received my Crow Pi yesterday and, as I do with these things, I immediately had some questions which found my way here. Seems as the though the crowd is yet to build which it will I am sure.

I am recently newbie to the world of Linux, three years or so but now have nothing but Linux pcs and just completed a home server. I have became reasonably proficient with things and look forward to playing with this new toy.

I am pretty sure I'll be in the beginner band of things but I learn quick and I'm endlessly inquisitive. I look forward to learning here and helping when I can.

Let me congratulate you on getting this forum up and running. I'll do my best to support it.

Cheers
B
g7jjf

Post by g7jjf »

Thanks and welcome to the board !
2600Sam

Post by 2600Sam »

hello all
I'm an American (seriously not my fault, I was just born there) :lol:
retired USN
I have been playing with computers since I was introduced to the TRS80 model 1
I have been through a few different languages
currently working on learning Python basics
got my Crowpi from their Kickstarter campaign and I have been playing with it ever since.
now living in Malaysia (why not they have great food) :P
g7jjf

Post by g7jjf »

Hi Sam and welcome to the board.

Love your word clock, hope you have many more projects to come :)
2600Sam

Post by 2600Sam »

I was working on a binary clock for the matrix (yes I do love a good or even a bad clock) but I put it on hold so i can develop a portable version of my word clock using an HT16K33 (i2c 8x8 led matrix), a chronodor (a cheap knock off of the ChronoDot) a ds3231 i2c RTC, and an Adafruit Trinket M0 which has circuit python on it. I have everything working except for routines for setting the RTC, on its all finished i'm going to stuff it into an old small clock case. I am using the circuit python MU ide on my crowpi to program it
wizzy

Post by wizzy »

Hi! My name is Andy Rabagliati, I live in Muizenberg, South Africa.

I am a linux guy, and have dabbled with RPi, with a project that needed SPI to talk to another board.

I bought mine straight from Electrow, because that was where the links guided me.

I got no specials on a Pi4 board - but I bought it from Electrow too. They delivered at the weekend!!

Few thing I did - the image on the flash that came with my bundle was a 16Gig image on a 32Gig SSD - so I expanded that out.

An "apt upgrade" was a gig or so - not sure I recommend that at the moment ...

The upgrade broke Crowpi2 - symptom "Move sensor switch to A!" or thereabouts.
I think the Sensor switch next to the fan disconnects the I2C bus.

In fact the problem was that the upgrade broke some delicate python2 dependencies - but it was remedied by "sudo pip install Adafruit-BBIO"

I found that the icon runs "sudo Crowpi2" - with no necessity of typing a password.

The keyboard has been a bit flakey - sometimes needing the mouse to be plugged in ? How close must it be to the RPi ?

Thanks for setting up the forum - it is sorely needed. Because I wasn't a kickstarter customer, I couldn't even ask on *their* forums ..
g7jjf

Post by g7jjf »

Hi Andy,

Thanks for joining the board.

Interesting to read about your new CrowPi 2.

Please let us know more about the kit once you have had chance to play with it properly.

Jon