Hi everyone !

Where both new and existing forum members can say 'hi' to each other!
pieterjouke

Re: Hi everyone !

Post by pieterjouke »

Hi everyone,

My name is Pieter Jouke. 46 years old. I know next to nothing about computers and coding, so I thought I'd give this a try. My daily driver is a MacBookPro. Looking forward to asking (maybe a bit stupid) questions...

Cheers!
Colin

Post by Colin »

HI all I'm a 61yo Brit now living in the USA. My dayjob is developing new medicines (and yes I am working on a COVID therapy albeit several years out) and I am a total newbe to all things Raspberry and anything outside MS Windows.

Needing stimulation in lockdown beyond staring out the window between Zoom calls, I backed CrowPi2 to learn Python and what the RPi can do. It arrived last week and I already screwed it up!

System boots up to a standard looking desktop and not the CrowPi2 screen. Am in contact with Elecrow Tech support and they recommended downloading the updated .IMG file. Did that BUT have no idea what to do with it. Did I mention newbe?

Looking at a couple of online resources I should have copied the System file! Didn't do that.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
g7jjf

Post by g7jjf »

Hi Colin and welcome to the board !

In answer to your question about the IMG file, you need to write this to your SD card.

First of all, take the SD card out of your Raspberry Pi and put in into your computer using a suitable adapter if needed.

To write the image to the SD card, you can use the Pi imager software available from https://www.raspberrypi.org/software/

Once you have downloaded and installed the imager_1.5.exe software, run the program and you should see something like :

imager.jpg
imager.jpg (31.48 KiB) Viewed 4147 times

Select 'Choose OS' and scroll to the bottom of the list where you can pick a custom IMG file. Select the IMG file you have previously downloaded.

Then click the 'Choose SD Card' option and select your SD card. Mine shows :

pic1.jpg
pic1.jpg (24.68 KiB) Viewed 4147 times

FInally, click the Write button to write the image to your SD card. Once this has finished, put the SD card back in your Raspberry Pi, reboot, and all should be fine.

If not, come back here with your results.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Jon - thanks - I burned the IMG file onto the SD card and my Boot issue is now fixed.

I now await a response from the Elecrow tech support to fix the random appearance of the letters A and I when typing - I just posted on this in Hardware issues.
slider

Post by slider »

I am an old fart trying to learn something new, and play some old time arcade games.
Stevengms

Post by Stevengms »

I have just bought my CrowPi and am looking forward to learning how to programme. My aim is to use the excellent cased Raspberry to make something that works that I can transfer to one of the old Raspberry’s I have lying around. I don’t mind if it is a simple separate temp/humidity unit.
Problem, I am very new to all of this.
I shall now sit back in the British sun (!) and dream of fantastic projects.
g7jjf

Post by g7jjf »

Hi Steven and welcome to the board !

I am sure you will have lots of fun playing with your new CrowPi.

If you want to look at lesson 7 and want to dabble a bit with Python, this shows how to use the temp/humidity sensor on the CrowPi.

Any questions or problems getting it to work, please don't hesitate in posting back.

Jon